With all the chatter about the importance of social media marketing, it’s easy to wonder whether email marketing is still relevant. The answer is an unequivocal “yes.” In fact, email marketing is one of the most versatile tools when it comes to growing your business and engaging, retaining, and converting leads into customers. Consider the following:
- There are 4 billion daily email users.
- 37% of brands are increasing their email budgets.
- 33% of marketers send weekly emails.
- 26% of marketers send emails multiple times per month.
- 77% of businesses have seen an increase in email engagement over the last 12 months.
- Transactional emails have 8x more opens and clicks than any other types of email and can generate 6x more revenue
Before we delve into why you should up your email marketing game, it’s helpful to understand the three types of effective marketing emails. Here’s an overview:
Transactional emails provide customer services such as order confirmations, receipts, shipping notices, support tickets, and return confirmations.
Relational email marketing is designed to engage subscribers and nurture your brand’s relationships with them. They may include welcomes, gated content delivery, event sign-ups, requests for reviews, social media update notifications, or referral requests.
Promotional email marketing seeks to increase revenue by generating sales. It may include sale announcements, new product release notifications, webinar reminders, or trial or upgrade offers.
So how does email marketing work? Email marketing can be tremendously impactful when done correctly, moving your customers from one stage of the marketing “value journey” to the next. The outcome of this type of strategic email marketing is profit and growth. Here’s how you can use email marketing for branding, increasing customer engagement, retaining customers, generating traffic, and obtaining referrals.